Thread: [Guest Editorial] Final Fantasy IX and Self-Discovery

News Post [Guest Editorial] Final Fantasy IX and Self-Discovery

Final Fantasy IX was the very first RPG I ever played through, and it is still my favourite to this day. It has a beautiful world, a touching story, fun gameplay, but most of all, it has wonderfully written characters that draw me back every time. The characters do an excellent job of showcasing the theme of the game, which for me is 'Self-Discovery'.

Warning: There are some spoilers!

The theme of this game is one I can identify with. Self-Discovery is something a lot of people will struggle with through their lives, and I think this game did a great job of taking that everyday fear and stress and putting it in to a fantastical setting with loveable characters and memorable moments. Let's take a look at the journey of some of the characters and how they tie in to the theme of self-discovery.

Zidane, the thief with a heart of gold. Zidane's journey is discovering his past. Who he is, where he came from. That moment comes to a head in one of the most touching scene in the game, he learns the truth, and positive, upbeat Zidane has his moment of weakness. But then he learns that his birth is not who he is, the person he has made himself is who he is. Kind, compassionate, and supportive.

Garnet's journey is about finding her place. Her mother has become a different person and she does what she can to help. Then, suddenly, her mother is taken from her and she is thrown in to the role of Queen. She does her best, but when Alexandria is attacked, she experiences severe stress. She feels loss, failure. But she soon finds her inner strength, the strength to fight and make life better for her people. The strength to fight with her friends and defeat the villain they face.

Vivi's story is perhaps the most obvious example of this, but it is still an amazing story nonetheless. Vivi's story is about him finding out who he is. He sees other Black Mages like himself, but they seem to be mindless weapons. He questions himself, his existence. But soon, he finds others like him. There are no easy answers for him, and he soon learns that one day he will die. But he deals with it with such dignity and tact that you can't help but admire him.

Steiner's journey is about finding himself through the idea of who he thinks he has to be. He is a knight, he is loyal to the Queen, he does what she says. That is his life, that is who he is. But he soon learns that issues are not so black and white. He learns the Queen is making bad decisions. So he has to find himself through all of that and learn to stand up for what he thinks is right and to protect the people he loves.

Freya also learns about herself through the game. Unlike some of the other characters, Freya is very confident in herself. She is very strong and she mostly knows where she stands. Her journey of self-discovery is learning to be herself without Sir Fratley, who left years ago. When she finally finds him, instead of a happy reunion, she learns that he doesn't remember her at all, thanks to him suffering amnesia. She spent so long searching for him, and just like that, he was taken away. So she has to learn to live without him and to put that aside to help her people, who are going through a crisis.

Quina's journey is simpler and more lighthearted, but is about self-discovery nonetheless. S/he is simple, naive, innocent. S/he knows only food, and most of the food he knows is frogs. His/her Mater sends him/her out to explore the world, learn more about it, try new foods, live, learn, discover. And s/he does. S/he learns about restraint (not eating Frog Cid), about friendship, about helping others. It's an amusing journey, but still a valid one.

Eiko's journey is about a young girl discovering herself. She was the last of her kind, alone with the moogles. As the game progresses, she learns about her summoner heritage, as well as teaching some of it, she learns about her friend Mog, and she learns about herself. About the person she wants to be, about the friend she wants to be, and about where she wants her life to go.

Amarant doesn't get much time in the spotlight, but we can also see self-discovery in his story. He was a bodyguard who lost his job because of Zidane and harbors resentment. He becomes a mercenary and one day gets to face off against Zidane again, and is defeated. He follows the group, and through some less than admirable moments, he learns more about how to be a more positive person. How to rely on others, how to have others rely on him, and how to be strong in ways he never thought of.

All of these are great examples of self-discovery. I think people struggling with themselves can find some comfort in these stories, just as I have. This message is a positive one and is part of what makes the game so great!
    Attached Images Attached Images [Guest Editorial] Final Fantasy IX and Self-Discovery-ffix-jpg 

Amarant's is my favourite. He gets beat twice by Zidane and instead of killing his opponent, Zidane just says nah it's cool man. He wants to understand Zidane and why he is who he is. In the end he still doesn't understand Zidane except that is just the way he is.

I love this game so much. It was probably my first RPG I played through fully as well. I simply love it and play it yearly.

Everybodies stories are touching and emotional and give you the feels.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Registered User [Guest Editorial] Final Fantasy IX and Self-Discovery
    Nice post! I didn't read it all cuz well spoilers and all...still need to get back to it again. Didn't really think about this but it seems so obvious now in retrospect. I think it's a good thing as most stories that I find compelling or interesting or just my favorites have at least some form of self discovery. Killer7, Deadly Premonition, Metal Gear Solid 2, Lost, etc...